Coconut kefir is simply fermented coconut water. Kefir helps to establish a wide variety of good bacteria in your gut to help heal the gut, improve digestion and help eradicate unwanted bacteria and parasites such as Candida.
What you will need:
- 1 Litre of fresh coconut water (or UHT without sugar or preservatives)
- 1 sachet fresh Kefir Grains or Starter (we use Body Ecology Kefir starter from most good health food stores or online)
- Warm coconut water until it is body temperature – dip a clean finger in water and if there is no temperature difference you are at body temperature.
- Transfer the coconut water into a sterile glass jar or bottle and add one sachet of Kefir Grains, stir well with a wooden spoon (no metal)
- Then cover with a lid or clean cloth with an elastic band and set aside in around 22 degrees (either wrap in a towel to warm up or keep cool in dark window less room for 24-36hrs.
The coconut water will change to a milky colour over this time and when you taste it should be slightly sour with no sweetness. Once fermented shake or mix well and place in the fridge for 5-7 days.
At this stage you can add flavours to the finished Kefir when placing in the fridge for extra gut health and extra taste if you wish, like fig, turmeric, ginger or lemon or berries depending on what your gut healing protocol.
Start small with a tsp each day for 1-2 days and build up watching for reactions and die-offs, pull back if rashes or bloating appears.