Mexican style raw tacos are a favourite in our home for our special treat meal . . .you will love them too…great messy finger food for the kids and packed full of flavour while being healthy and low in fat and the option to make them starch free too. Dress them up with toppings or just eat them simply . . .
What you will need:
Makes for 4-6 serves.
The “Taco” mixture:
- 2 corn on the cobs kernels removed (optional if you are no starches at present)
- 6 semi dried tomatoes soaked
- 2 dates soaked and pitted
- 4 fresh large tomatoes halved
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 sticks celery one for the blender and 1 finally diced
- 1/2 tsp smoky paprika
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 8 brown mushrooms
- 1 finally diced zucchini
- 1/2 red capsicum diced
- juice of 1 lime and zest
- 1 loose cup coriander chopped
- 1/2 loose cup mint chopped
- 1/4 loose cup parsley chopped
- soaking water (about 2-3 tbs)
- Iceberg lettuce or coz lettuce to serve as tacos
- 1 cup finally shredded red cabbage
- Sprouts or micro herbs
- Sliced avocado
- Pesto or dip (optional)
How to make these:
- Soak the dates and tomatoes in very little water till soft (you use the water in the mixture so only use a little, so you keep all the flavour.
- In a blender add the 4 large tomatoes, 1/2 the mushrooms, celery, dates, semi dried tomatoes, cumin, paprika’s and soaking water and blend till smooth but still with texture. Then add the remaining mushrooms and pulse till textured.
- In a medium bowl add the corn kernels, 1 stick of diced celery, diced capsicum, diced zucchini, lime zest and juice, chopped herbs, quartered cherry tomatoes and stir together.
- Add the tomato sauce from step 2. and stir again.
- Spoon the mixture into the lettuce cups which I would suggest lining with shredded red cabbage…and top with your favourite toppings!
This mixture gets more flavoursome with time, so I suggest making it in the morning. This will also allow the mixture to set and the liquid to drain off allowing the “tacos” or lettuce cups not to get wet…
Finish with micro herbs or sprouts and slices of avocado or vegan chipotle mayonnaise or vegan sour cream….I used coriander pesto! Dairy and soy free sour cream.