Simple, fast and healthy salads are great ways to feed the family and can be made and stored in the fridge for a day or two and used for picnics or school lunches. This is delight for the senses with sweet, tangy, crunchy, chewy and sour!
What you will need:
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 1 small chopped butter nut squash
- 1 head raw broccoli shredded
- 1 pomegranate deseeded (keep juice)
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 1 grated zucchini
- juice and zest of 1 lemon or an orange
- 1/4 shredded red cabbage
- 6 soaked pitted and chopped dates
- 2 tbs basil pesto
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp sumac
How to make this:
- steam the pumpkin for 5 minutes until soft but not falling apart.
- add the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse it on high until it looks like grains of rice but not cous cous.
- in a large mixing bowl add the “rice’
- grate in the zucchini, add the spinach, chopped kale, shredded cabbage, shredded broccoli, pine nuts, hemp seeds, sumac, dates and the pesto.
- break open the pomegranate and deseed over the bowl so the juice goes in to the salad.
- then add the lemon zest and juice.
- once the pumpkin is cooked and cooled to room temperature add it to the salad and toss it all gentle.
Learn how to make the pesto here:Oil and nut free pesto.