Mexican style raw tacos are a favourite in our home . . .you will love them too. Great messy finger food for the kids and packed full of flavour while being healthy and low in fat. Dress them up with toppings or use eat them simply . . .
What you will need:
Makes for 4-6 serves.
- 2 corn on the cobs kernels removed
- 4 semi dried tomatoes
- 2 dates soaked and pitted
- 4 fresh large tomatoes
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 red onion very finally diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp smoky paprika
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground chipotle pepper (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbs coconut aminos
- 8 mushrooms
- 1 finally diced zucchini
- 1/2 red capsicum diced
- juice of 1 lime and zest
- 1 loose cup coriander chopped
- 1/2 loose cup mint chopped
- 1/4 loose cup parsley chopped
- pepper to taste
- soaking water (about 2-3 tbs)
- iceberg lettuce or coz lettuce to serve as tacos
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- sprouts or micro herbs
*optional to add 1 cup of black beans, kidney beans or black eyed beans for added texture and protein.
How to make these:
- soak the dates and tomatoes in very little water till soft (you use the water in the mixture so only use a little, so you keep all the flavour.
- in a blender add the 4 large tomatoes, dates, semi dried tomatoes, garlic, cumin, paprika’s, chipotle, coconut aminos and soaking water and blend till smooth.
- in a medium bowl add the corn kernels, red onion, capsicum, zucchini, lime zest and juice, herbs, cherry tomatoes and stir together. (add drained beans now if your using them)
- add the tomato sauce from step 2. and stir again.
- season to taste.
- spoon the mixture into the lettuce cups which I would suggest lining with shredded red cabbage.
This picture get more flavoursome with time so I suggest making it in the morning. This will also allow the mixture to set and the liquid to drain off blowing the tacos or lettuce cups not to get wet.
Finish with micro herbs or sprouts and slices of avocado or vegan chipotle mayonnaise or vegan sour cream….I used coriander pesto! Dairy and soy free sour cream.