Getting your child to drink ‘green smoothies’
Going crazy on extra greens on your first smoothie attempt will not win you green smoothie loving children. Baby steps are the key to making a smooth transition to developing a taste for greens in your child’s smoothie, especially if your child is not used to vegetables or a picky eater. So make those first few smoothies creamy with a lot of fruit and just a hint of green veggies. Then with each smoothie you serve, add a little less fruit and a little more green leaves and build up to more nutrient dense greens. Your goal is to pack in your child’s daily needs for green vegetables into a smoothie. Job done mums!
This fruit and green packed breakfast gives their body energy without needing lots of digesting or causing inflammation so it doesn’t cause energy drops mid morning. Their brain gets fired up before school, It’s high in minerals so their body gets all it needs and taste yum too!
To make this:
• 2-3 frozen bananas or 1 cup frozen berries (to cover the green colour)
• 2 cups + water or coconut water
• 1/2-2 cups of spinach/lettuce/dandelion/greens/herbs
• 1/4-1 tsp spirulina/barley grass/chlorella powder
• 1/4-1/2 cucumber
• option is to add in celery too once the child gets used to them
• If you’ve upped the greens and powder then add a date or 2 in to keep it sweet and for extra minerals.
⭐️note that the Ingrediant’s start with less greens. I suggest starting at almost just bananas and coconut water with a tinge of greens and building up as your child gets used to the taste and colour.
⭐️for children with sensory processing state thinner and make it thicker till they get used to drinking from a straw.
⭐️for kids who don’t like the colour try dark glasses or lids or flowers at the top of the glass or fancy decorated straws. Try a few different ways till they taste it and then build up the flavour and nutrients.
A Great smoothie recipe to start with:
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (the more berries you add, the more purple it looks not green) 1 banana or 1 apple, 1 cup almond or hemp milk or coconut milk or 1 cup coconut (try celery or cucumber juice here too as soon you will want to stop using fats in smoothies for better digestion see the link below for why) 1/4 cup fresh baby spinach or lettuce. Building up the amount of lettuce and spinach or any soft tender greens.The truth about fruit . . . and Food combining and why is it essential for health!-chart.
The fibers are liquefied making the nutrients absorb super easy. Studies have shown that children and adults alike generally accept a new food by the 12th try so keep at it muma’s!!
- Make yourself a green smoothie, and they may wonder why their smoothie is not the same color as yours.
- Be a health role model for your kids. If they see you eating healthy they will want to do it too.
- Try having a smoothie out at a healthy café or wholefoods as often kids like what other people eat more than what their mums make. All choose a different type and compare the tastes.
- Get them to choose a new smoothie cup and straw to take ownership over their new healthy lifestyle. Add flowers on top so they can not see the colour.
- Let them measure out the coconut water or add the ingredients into the blender and safely press the button and watch it wiz around. They are much more likely y to drink something they have made. Even start with them helping you make your first and then say would you like one?
- Top their smoothies with extra goodness like coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds or goji berries or flowers. Serve with a nice straw and spoon and make it a special treat.
For the kids who will not go near any vegetables and anything green:
Start with making a banana milk (1 banana blend with 1 cup water) then each day or week depending on how slow you feel is right add some lettuce like coz. This will not change the colour much but get some much needed nutrients in tot your child. Once they are ok with that add spinach which will change the colour but they would be used to the taste by now.
Your goal is to get to smoothies made with filtered water ONLY with fruit and loads of greens. No fats no milks and with barley grass powder and herbs like coriander for maxima detoxing and cellular health . . . every day even twice a day. I believe you will if you set your mind on it!
Good luck and remember they sense your fear and emotions – if you are hesitant and scared they will not go for it. Be confident and set an example by eating well yourself. Monkey see monkey do. Kids can not buy their own food, so only stock the best at home and choose only the best when you are out. If you are suffering with self sabotage and food binging and cravings. Contact me to coach you to break free of these . . . like I did.
🍌GOOD LUCK and remember monkey see monkey do so eat your greens too! 🍌
Much love and thanks Hannah xx